Item # : SM_MM0119
This stunning Murano Glass Madonna And Child Pendant is handmade by the famous glass artists from the Venetian island of Murano, whose exceptional skill, creativity, and artistic heritage instantly set them apart from the rest. Young and beautiful Virgin Mary embraces baby Jesus in glowing gold glass in the center of the pendant, surrounded by beautiful colorful Millefiori glass mosaic flowers. Italian spirituality, Venetian tradition of fine craftsmanship, and boldness of artistic expression merge to create a masterpiece of glass art, a jewelry piece that is at once beautiful, inspirational, and devotional. Add Glass Of Venice Madonna And Child pendant to your jewelry collection or give it as a gift full of meaning to the special people in your life for Christmas, Baptism, First Communion, or simply as a token of love and care.
- Measurements: This Murano Glass Millefiori pendant measures 1 inch in diameter.
- The Virgin Mary And Baby Jesus pendant comes with an attractive velvet pouch and the certificate of authenticity.
- There is a stamp on the back that states "Hand made decorated with gold leaf. Words "Murano Glass Made In Italy" are engraved on the pendant around the back.
- Cord is NOT included with this pendant.
- Because each Murano Glass piece is a unique work of art made by hand and due to the specifics of Millefiori technique, the flowers around Madonna and Child come in random combinations of colors. The pendant you receive will look very similar to but not exactly the same as the pendant on the photos.
The technique of fusing together small colored fragments of glass dates all the way back to Ancient Egypt and Rome. After the fall of Rome, having been lost for centuries, this intricate technique was reinvented by Murano glass masters in the 15th century, and given new life and worldwide fame. While this technique is called "Murrine" on Murano island, outside of Venice it was dubbed "Millefiori", or "a thousand flowers" for its resemblance to a blossoming meadow.
A Millefiori design starts with the rods of different colors, each made by stretching a blob of glass into a cane. These canes are then cut into small segments, and the segments are carefully arranged by hand into a pattern that fits within a desired shape. Finally, the resulting arrangement is put into a special furnace where the tiny glass pieces are carefully fused together in high heat, and then gradually cooled off. This is how Murano masters create their famous Millefiori pendants, earrings, cufflinks, pill boxes, paperweights and many other beautiful and unique Millefiori jewelry pieces that are instantly recognized and valued for their artistic appeal and fine craftsmanship. Enjoy your Murano Glass jewelry creation, knowing that it was carefully handmade by talented Murano Glass artisans in Venice, Italy.